Anyone who regularly takes NSAIDs and experiences stomach pain should talk to a doctor, who may recommend changing the dosage or medication. Many people with peptic ulcers also experience reactions to certain foods. For example, spicy foods can make their symptoms worse. Functional dyspepsia can account for symptoms, including burning in the stomach, in as many as 70% of people with this type of complaint.
Extreme itchiness during pregnancy
This is because these symptoms may be a sign of an underlying health condition, such as a stomach ulcer or stomach cancer. You may need to be referred for an endoscopy to rule out any serious cause. In most cases indigestion is related to eating, although it can be triggered by other factors such as smoking, drinking, alcohol, pregnancy, stress or taking certain medications. Indigestion may be caused by stomach acid coming into contact with the sensitive, protective lining of the digestive system (mucosa). The stomach acid breaks down the lining, leading to irritation and inflammation, which can be painful.
Over 10% of children have a “worried stomach.” These children tend to be sensitive and too serious. They often are model children. This can make them more at risk to the normal stresses of life.
The fear the causes the anxious cycle. This isnâ€™t easy to adjust as it becomes automatic. One thing I can say is I have never stopped trying to find a way to combat the fear.
- The pain may be either intermittent or constant.
- It seems like everyday I donâ€™t â€œfeel right, or wellâ€ I have been on depressants, then came off them, was supposed to go back on, but they made me feel unwell, which just fuelled my whirling mind.
- Symptoms of gastritis do not always correspond to the extent of physical changes in the lining of the stomach.
- It has been reported that 30-50% of patients with IBS, complain of headache (Table 1) (25-28, 47, 48).
- “That number represents just 1% of patients, which is not very many, even if the real figure is probably higher since it is hard to know whether babies are suffering from stomach pains,” says Muhamed-Kheir Taha.
- Pain in the middle of the chest or upper back can result from disorders of the esophagus or from disorders of the heart or aorta (see Chest Pain).
Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how Heliobacter pylori affects the stomach, what the risk factors are, and how clinical trials have helped determine cancer risks. Guard your gastrointestinal health with reliable medical information. Many people have heartburn every now and again after eating a large meal, and will be familiar with the unpleasant burning feeling in their chest, just behind their breastbone.
Sometimes abdominal pain is physical and mental.
The sensation generally occurs soon after consuming food or drink. It may make a person feel full or uncomfortable during a meal, even if they have not eaten a large amount of food. First, your doctor will try to rule out other health conditions that could be causing your symptoms. She might do blood tests and X-rays of your stomach or small intestine. She might also use a thin, flexible tube with a light and a camera to look closely at the inside of your stomach, a procedure called an upper endoscopy.
“Causes of abdominal pain and chills.” Medical News Today. MediLexicon, Intl., 8 Jan. 2019.
Why Am I Bloated? Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause it.
Stomach ache or back pain are usually not symptoms of indigestion. If you have those you might be constipated. Leonard, Jayne.